I think it's safer to wait for hdmi 2.1 spec amps. I don't think they are out yet? It's too close now to buy anything else.

Nic is right, and my experience with Atmos is that it works really well, but it depends completely on how the studio used it. Which is like any movie really. Right now it seems most studios haven't a clue what to do with it. It's getting better. I know Deep water Horizon was superb. But a lot of movies still don't get it. Tom Cruise's new Jack Reacher movie absolutely sucked for Atmos. Both movies out around the same time, one excellent, the other sucked. Now with Atmos you really need to drop everything you know and understand about Dolby Digital. 3d Positional sound is a lot more than just ceiling speakers. So a movie like San Andreas, which hardly used the ceiling speakers, still sounded great in Atmos...but it also sounds great in 7.1. So.. worth it? To me yes.
The upmixing for non Atmos is good, but not exactly a game changer, even music sounds a little better with Atmos vs Pro logic or other DTS modes but I still prefer good old 2 channel for music. When Atmos is done right, you will smile, and you will want more. That's what I remember about the switch from pro logic to DD.

Atmos came out around the same time I also got a bonus, and I suddenly lost an amp. Add a black Friday sale and I had my ceiling speakers as Axiom just came out with them too. The timing just fell into place. Otherwise I would have waited...this was two years ago.

But it didn't take long to realize the days of having those crazy good QS8's up high in the back were long gone and I tried lowering them, which helped a lot, but still I need direct firing on wall M3's. Which, if they ever hit the B Stock store I'm going to grab a set in black in case ANYONE at Axiom is reading...daddy just worked a lot of overtime in the past week, maybe I can sneak another set in the house! lol. Plus I need to trade in my vp150/qs8's to get a second set later on.

2xAA
M80/VP150/VP160/QS8
4xM3/M22OW/M2OW/VP150OW/4xM3IC/4xM3OW
EP500/800/HSU VTF3/SVS PB2k/SB2k/SB-12