The biggest problem that I have with the whole movie scene is the distribution of media.

If you think of it, all movies now are in digital format. I have a friend who owns an independent movie theater and they ended up going sort of a go-fund-me route as they had to convert the whole cinema over to 2k digital projectors just to get content.

Now CD's have been around for decades. The technology on how to bulk press manufacture them is old school. The same process is used for DVD, and Blu-ray and UHD Blu-Ray. The cost of the manufacturing facilities have long since been paid off. So why does it cost $15 for a DVD and $25 for a Blu-Ray and $45 for an UHD-Blu-Ray when the cost of manufacturing them are effectively equal?

Distribution costs for all of them are identical. If you pull back the cover, it should cost more to make a DVD as they need to down mix and re-encode to lower res to remaster the DVD, yet they charge generally 1/2 the price for most movies as they charge for Blu-Ray.

Streaming, you could say should also cost more than physical media from the side it too needs to be re-encoded for bandwidth limitations, plus the cost of storage and hardware as streaming to one person is far more easy than doing the same to thousands of people all wanting the same thing but at different points and pausing, starting, repeating. Bandwidth hell. That all costs money.

So why does a Blu-Ray and UHD Blu-Ray still cost more for a single movie than a months worth of streaming?

A: GREED!

If they sold the movies for $3-5 would anyone pirate? Would you not likely purchase more?

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5