Missed the key question... I remember how bad some of the early CDs sounded until the record companies got the low pass filtering figured out... but I don't remember if that ended up being dependent on having very high order "brickwall" filters available.

I can't imagine that a $200 box has a really high order lowpass filter in it (there only seem to be a few parts) so if we're sampling at 44 KHz then it brickwallseems there is a good chance of some aliasing happening. I guess maybe that's where the 48 KHz sampling option comes in - only a bit higher than 44 but maybe enough to keep 1/2 the frequency far enough away from whatever cutoff frequencies were typically used in LP mastering (I heard -3dB between 16-20 KHz) to let a cheap low pass filter make sure nothing gets aliased back down into the audible range.

Might have to put this back on the "no time to think about it" heap. It does seem that there are quite a few inexpensive 24bit/96 KHz ADCs available if you go with line level so more options than I first thought.

Last edited by bridgman; 07/31/17 07:42 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8