I haven't looked at Chromebooks in a while, but aren't they all pretty much "middle of the road" in specs outside of the obvious super cheap ones?

Just wait until college. My youngest just went off to college a week ago. We hunted for laptops (like her older sister, she had to use her own money for a laptop and protection plan, we provided the case, external hard drive for automatic backups, and mouse). I gave her 2 options. Something "mid-level" that she should plan on replacing in 2 years with a new, mid-level computer that will be a little better, or get a very nicely powered one now and don't plan to need to upgrade.

She opted to spend the big bucks on a fast Intel i7 processor with all sorts of bells and whistles that should last through college.

So what's my point? Just saying that there are 2 camps of thought here. Pay less and maybe replace in a couple of years, or buy more and have it last longer.

So that being said, there are a number of companies that do all sorts of computer comparisons just in time for school.

Here is one from 2 weeks ago.. Gives makes, models, specs, prices, reviews, etc side-by-side with others.

Might be worth looking at to get a starting point.

The Best Chromebooks of 2017 - PCmag

Here is another list.
Top 7 Chromebooks of 2017 - TechRadar

Good luck.

Farewell - June 4, 2020