I used 2 15 inch Dahlquist subs in one of my 2 channel systems. I was listening to Musorgsky's Pictures on SACD and the glorious music thundered, a truly ecstatic moment, then an acrid smell brought me out of my celestial moment, I opened my eyes, and white smoke was pouring out of one of my Dahlquists. Well, I unplugged it, blasted my fire extinguisher through its port, picked it up, held it away from me holding my breath, put it outside and stared at it.

Coulda burned my house down, I thought. I have a lot of subs. Maybe I shouldn't close my eyes while I'm listening to music.

I thought of having it fixed, but decided that Waste Management could make better use of it, gave away the other Dahlquist (after telling the lucky recipient what happened to its brother).

I'm running a single big HSU in place of the twin Dahlquists. Sounds great. I have a home theater system in the same room running twin subs, Axiom EP500 and EP400. The 400 can't keep up with the new Transformers 4K Blu Ray movie, so, onto Craigslist it will go. Maybe another EP500. It's a good sub.

I had a Kenwood SW300 12" sub, years ago, literally blew pieces of its rubber O-ring into my room. Couldn't keep up with the Dream Works remake of "The Time Machine." Very exciting right up to the end.

I have an SVS 20-39 which is probably 18 years old. Works perfectly.

If you are on a budget, my advice is buy a used subwoofer. You have a lot of great speaker/sub manufacturers up there in Canada.

Subs live until they die. The uncertainty of their life spans only resolves when they die. Therefore, since most will die after their warranty has passed, buy used. When it dies, get another. You can put nice plants on dead subwoofers. They're good that way.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 10/20/17 05:22 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.