I've had a variety of phones over the years, mainly started with ones forced on me by my employer. I know that a lot of people love their iPhones, but damn, I don't want to be locked into their "ecosystem" which is slick, but everything is expensive, and once you are in, they know that you can't get out. Some people love being in that type product control and claim "but it just works"... At a price.

My kids used to have iPods and every time they would plug one in to a computer, it would force download iTunes, and then want to "manage" any and all media on that device. Hell no!

Anyway, it turned me totally off to them. That was also at a time where some people at work were sucked into Apple's slick marketing (you all KNOW this is true) where you weren't cool if you didn't have the LATEST Apple products that came out every year. Even Apple users would seem to ask other Apple users "is that the (latest model)?" Usually followed up by, "Oh, well *I* have the (latest model) and was just wondering since yours was a little different than mine." Seriously. Some of these Apple users were pompous jerks to each other.

Enter the Android user. Typically sits there quietly using their device, constantly bashed by Apple users on their high horse. I not only saw this, but experienced it myself.

These happened to be the same people that would get a new iPad every year, claiming that it was so much better than the previous one, and then 2 months later if you asked them (and if they gave an honest answer) how much better it was, they would say, "Well it is great, but not really worth the upgrade." They would buy the latest one the next year too..

Anyway, this is why I am generally so anti-Apple. Just a lot of stuff that for me is annoying, but for others that have been sucked into the Apple world, they like it.

I am not, and have never said that Apple doesn't make solid products, but they aren't for me and neither is their ecosystem, or their "ego"system.

On a side note, I am now on a Samsung Galaxy S9+, previous was a S7 Edge, and before that an S5. Prior to Samsung, I had some other brands. I liked my S7 Edge so much that I wasn't planning on upgrading, but they offered such great trade-in credit and deals, that I was getting the device for less than 50%, and when I did the math on it, I could have a new device now for probably less than if I waited a year since my trade-in would be worth pretty much nothing a year later.

The good thing about Samsung, is that they still push updates. My youngest is on an S7 Edge for example, and still gets system updates.

On a side note, my son-in-law uses an iPhone. He was fulling engulfed into the Apple ecosystem before my oldest married him. She told me that she pretty much *had* to switch because so much of what they did or wanted to share was already locked into Apple, and not accessible from any other type of device. So Apple succeeded in their goal to make it so that if you aren't "in" with Apple, then you are "out" and the only way to get in is to switch... Then you can never escape because you are too "invested" into it. Great marketing by them.

Farewell - June 4, 2020