It's pretty sad that DD and DTS mixers rely on the center channel so heavily. IMO the Center shuould be for dialogue only and a little bit of effects and music. I have the Megadeth Rude Awakening concert DVD and the center channel on that mix is used almost entirely for vocals, almost nothing else and the sound quality and realism blows all my other concert DVD's away.

Any how, I don't what way the reviewer you mentioned were disappointed (be more specific) but I think that the goal of speaker manufacturers is to produce a center channel that produces clear dialogue and has a wide dispersion. It also must blend well with the fronts. Sometimes you may not be able to get both so you must compromise. A larger woofer may not be as clear. Most centers I've seen have relatively small woofers compared to their right/left counterparts. Also, three 5.25" woofers have nearly the same surface area as two 6.5" woofers (only 2% difference). I plan to purchase the VP100 and am confident that I'll be quite happy with it (I doubt that it will be worse than my $19 Jensen center).