Hi Brendo,

Do you do DJ work? 2X6 is correct; they are made to take a lot of abuse and for "back-cueing"; rotating the platter backwards to cue up to the start of groove modulation. You can't do that with expensive, delicate cartridges or you'll damage the stylus assembly/cantilever.

If you don't do DJ work, then there really is no point in getting a DJ cartridge other than the aforementioned sturdy construction.

If you want to upgrade, then go to an upscale Grado (which I use), or a Shure, if they're still on the market. I've never been keen on Ortofon. they don't track as well on heavily modulated grooves as the Grado Signature line or the Shure V15s, and typically they don't have as smooth and flat frequency response. I'd still be using my Shure V15 TypeV if it hadn't gotten misplaced or lost in my move from New York back to Toronto.

In tests I did years ago with two turntables, the Grado Signature 8 tracked as well as the V15 TypeV. I had the Grado as a backup so it was little used, hence my use of it now.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)