No sir, it is not a matter of 'religious' belief. My preferences are based on observation and comparison. My good friend, Mike Rose, owns Excel Audio here in Newport Beach. He and I spend many hours listening to music on some of the finest systems in the world. I hope someday you can visit us in Southern California.

I have had the pleasure of listening to systems ranging up to the $339,000 Wilson XVXs (and 2 WAMM floor to ceiling subwoofers) driven by D'Agostino separates, sourced by a DCS Vivaldi streamer with their megabuck clock (digital) and the top of the line Clear Audio turntable with a Goldfinger cartridge. I assure you, if you sat in the good seat you would agree as to which sounded better.

Yes, I like tubes. I chose a pair of Balanced Audio Technologies monoblocks and a BAT preamp. However, I have heard some excellent solid state amps and preamps which sound great. In my experience, however, you have to pay multiples in order to match sound quality. D'Agostino, Soulution, Bermeister are some of the best I've heard. Each is out of my price range, and none is better sounding than my choice.

So, my engineer friends, chuckle as you will, the truth is in the music. I wish you could set aside your preconceptions, put the matter to the test (listening test, not a bench test), keep an open mind, and arrive at an informed opinion.

Note: counter intuitively, one of the best solid state amps I've heard was a hot rodded top of line alpha series vintage Sansui amp. Far better than any I've owned ... Kenwood KA9100, Integra M504, hot rodded Yamaha M80. Sansui used to make their own transformers, spun that off ... now known as the iconic Hashimotos.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 02/17/21 08:42 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.