Just following up here. I've had my brothers HK integrated here and have done a fair bit of listening to it. It's super interesting that it actually sounds quite a bit different than my Yamaha. It's got a fair bit more heft in the bass, but not muddy. It's just got more oomph. I've been missing that and it brings more of that emotional impact i've talked about missing. I've done all listening with the tone defeat on. Of course im going from audio memory to my Yamaha but I think it's fair to say I know how that receiver sounds. The midrange isn't as forward and realistic as my Yamaha, which I now now i really like as I miss that aspect of the sound, the HK has a nice midrange but it's not as " in the room " as the Yamaha. As for the high frequencies, ( which was the main point of doing the trade to figure out his tweeter breakup ) it sounds good to me on my M60's. Again, it's not as smooth or " real " as the Yamaha but it's still really good, no breakup at reasonable to loud SPL. It does eventually breakup but i think im pushing the amplifier too hard in my large space, im sitting anywhere from 12-18 feet back. ( It's really easy to move the couch back and fortha s we we don't have much furniture in the new large space here yet.)

One possiblity for his tweeter breakup could actualy be his room. He reports the same kind of breakup / messy high freq using my Yamaha. ( He also reports that the Yamaha sounds less " full " than the HK to him.) His room is quite narrow and long and the speakers are quite close together. I don't have the technical verbage to articulate what is maybe going on, but it's possible that having the speakers so close together and in long space with 9 foot ceiling is creating a complex web of reflections. There is also alot of glass along one wall. I'm betting its his room. At lower SPL things sound pretty nice to him. I told him to somehow try puitting the speakers along the long wall, but theres noway that they could stay there as it's not practical at all. I guess the other test is to bring the m60's to my place or to another room andtry them out before spending money on new tweeters or amplification. I think he would do well with some m2's and 2 ep125. I bet he could integrate those into his room better. Drive the m2 with the HK and seperate the bass into the subs. But that still doesn't help the room...

M60ti Hafler9505 & JFET Pre,Axiom Transformer. M3 Marantz PM7200 Dual 606 Denon 2700 M2 Yammy RX595