I tend to shy away from posting stuff on social media but thought this might make an interesting thread.

So I’ll start with my answer: it’s a bit of everything

I’ve always been into audio, video, and electronics. Every time I’d hit a mall, see an audio section or pass a store I usually went in to ogle the equipment. One of my first purchases after college was an upper-mid-tier audio system. It was the first time I had enough money to get a system. Don’t really remember what all the component were but I loved it and my focus turned to collecting albums. So,

Reason #1: money ... having enough to get something you want

About a year later, I was kind of depressed about something and passed a Bang & Olson store. I came out with an upgrade for my turntable (See Vinyl is in!)

Reason #2: feel good purchase (how to get rid of the blues … upgrade!!)

Now, I had to get even more albums. After that I was happy till CDs were becoming the media of choice so I bought a top-end CD player.

Reason #3: Tech changes

One speaker I loved was the B&W 802 but it was $$$ and it just not worth it to me. So, I started a hobby which lasted a few years to find a speaker which sounded as good for less than 1/4 the price. My ear for sound improved quite a bit. I was walking into more high-end places and learning a lot about critical listening. My system was starting to feel flat. I ended up with a whole new system keeping the B&O turntable.

Reason #4: Your ear has improved

10 years later I was married and didn’t have room for the old system. The house we moved to just didn’t have a great place for a system. So, I downsized to some reasonably ok speakers and a low-end Denon receiver and stored away the B&O turntable.

Reason $5: life changes

13-14 years after that we started planning a big renovation. I started to see an opportunity to create something I always dreamed of: a top end stereo & home theater. Soon, It became a requirement, it was now or never and It could be rolled into the costs. It took 6 or 7 years, the renovation turned into a complete rebuild, a couple of times it stalled but somehow it actually happened.

Reason $6: dream fulfillment

Now it's your turn ... tell us why your upgrade ...