Feels like deja vu.
I know this conversation came up many years ago though i don't recall if it visited the term "sound intensity". The info certainly helps to explain the concept though (good thought Trevor).

There are always several factors (aside from room) that determine how subs sound aside from solely driver size of course. There will always be 'industry standard' or 'scientifically standard' ways of measuring the metrics and less commonly known ways of measuring something related. Ultimately, when providing this to consumers, marketing has to balance too much info, too confusing, vs. what most average joes may know about or can comprehend more easily so i can see why you don't have these kinds of numbers reported (or maybe even measured) by speaker manufacturers, though the Audioscience site would certainly be one forum that would dig deep into the topic. From a sales point, asking about how loud a subwoofer gets is easier to understand with one number than two.

Ultimately, turning up any sub creates more 'slam', but if you want that hair to move on your legs when you hear no tone (the sub 20hz stuff), without cranking up a smaller sub, you need a bigger driver, bigger box. In the end, it is still all about moving air.
The EP350 and 500 share the same size of driver, but other things are significantly different. That being said, the EP500 has produced much more 'slam' in the same room. However, i have not verified if the EP500 SPL is producing that slam at the same or higher/lower SPL than the EP350 (sadly i no longer have the EP350 to test the idea).

So what else have i missed?

Last edited by chesseroo; 05/16/22 06:46 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."