Originally Posted by Hambrabi
Originally Posted by chesseroo
I'm assuming there are liberties with the exact words here specifically the phrase "solves everything".

[/i]
These ratios are theoretical and by math, are correct (sound follows the sciences of physics and math). However, for practical purposes, they are merely a starting point to designing a space.
Try using the golden ratio in a stereo setup in a basic rectangular room. It works quite well to define the sweet spot!

I don't think it's an understatement to say that Mr. Toole is disapproving of stereo. From my own experience, I prefer listening to stereo upmixed to DD 5.1 if given the choice.

But he literally spends 3 pages and several figures gushing about his omnidirectional Mirage M1's. I swear he was channeling Mojo and his LFR1100's.

Room ratios are fine if you're dealing with single frequencies and their harmonics (eg. 20/40/80/160 Hz or 30/60/90/120 Hz). Except music is from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, and we don't sit in the corner of a room listening to a mono loudspeaker sitting in another corner. So they're not a magic bullet, and you can still have good sound in a square room.
I have a friend who owns the Mirages. They are quite good, like a larger version of the Axiom LFRs. And they were also designed by Andrew Welker!
Though they are the OM5s
https://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/u...elker-axiom-lfr-vs-mirage-om5#Post444159

Last edited by chesseroo; 12/26/22 06:49 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."