THe last time i used winamp was at least a year ago. I'm sure new versions have come out since but i simply have not gone back to it. Netscape installations usually come with it now as well so i do still have it around here somewhere.

I've been curious to hear more about the mp3 debate and whether they can be used on quality systems without hearing any difference between wav original versions.
I know that the standard mp3 sampling sounds 'thin' on my present system. There are no heavy bass sounds and the upper range seems lacking compared to the original songs on cd. THe mid range is not very rich. I guess this is not surprising since the mp3 encoding process is designed to shrink the file by removing or reducing the info from similar notes, ranges of sound beyond or between human hearing limits (supposedly), etc. But on a quality system, you can notice these shrunken data holes. However, if you increase the sampling rate of the mp3, how much more would you have to go to get quality sound that is indistinguishable from the original?

This is just a question from an interest point of view. All the mixed cds i make are still wav to cda format since playing them in the car requires compatibility and my car cd player is not mp3 compatible, nor will it be upgraded anytime soon.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."