Well, here's my definition...

When I first set up my Axiom speakers, I thought they were a little on the bright side compared to my previous speakers which were Infinity RS-4's. However, after a LOT of listening and comparing them to the Infinity's, a way better desciption would be very clean, clear, and detailed in the highs. I would be willing to bet that others here who have listened to recordings which could potentially produce such brightness, would agree that the volume levels can be turned up on them considerably without getting harsh or tiring. In other words, these speakers are not "shrilly" or "tinny" which are terms that I personally use to describe brightness in other speakers.

As far as being forward, the Axiom's are very efficient which apparently means that not a lot of power is needed to make them loud. Perhaps, this is why they are considered forward. Personally, I wouldn't say they are "in your face" forward at all, but they don't restrain nor hold back sounds. They are all just clearly presented to in a very open fashion...not at all muddy or mushy.

Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD