Posted: Today
08:17 AM
Post (#6 of 6 posts)

Joey_V
ChiTown, IL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i went to tweeter with my m22s in hand. i did a head on audition between the polk rti (4,6,8) against the m22s. the m22s handily beat the rti4 in all categories. the rti6 seemed to have a wider soundstage than the m22s - at times when i switched back and forth, i felt that the m22s were boxed in. however, the m22s had better midrange clarity and better, crisper highs - the rti6 were on the verge of becoming sibilant.

i also tested the rti8, which handily beat the m22s in overall full range sound and the midrange clarity was better on the rti8. so it seemed like i found my speaker... well, not quite. the rti8 had the same sibilant tweeter that the 6 (and the 4) had... this is what turned me away from the 8s, otherwise i wouldve brought them home with me.

dave, the salesman, showed me the highest end polks... the lsi series. i listened to the lsi7 - highs were cristalline.. better than the m22s, but the midrange was not as controlled - yet the lsi7 did have a wider soundstage.

then came the m22s worst nightmare... the lsi9. OH MY GOD.... WOW... my jaw dropped. the m22s were bested in every category i knew... from lateral soundstage width, midrange production, bass production, highs were done with a radiator tweeter (not unlike the rockets by onix)... and man oh man... i just sat there in amazement.

something actually sounded better to me than my m22s did. wow... i couldnt believe it. the axioms seemed boxed in afterwards. the polks appeared coloreless too - although the m22s appeared to be more colorless, but i think that it is the added bass response in the polks lsi9 that make it seem less transparent. in all actuality, the lsi9 was so accurate, so lifelike... i wanted to take it home with me. however, the pricetag of 899$ asking price was too steep.

i came back home with the m22s and have decided to hold off on selling it indefinitely. the m22s are great speakers - it is just that the lsi9, imho, are better in every way.

Joey's PC speaker system:
Axiom M22ti (x2, mains)
Axiom M2i or QS4 (x2, rears to be... SOON!!!)
SVS 25-31PC+ (subwoofer extraordinaire)
NO MULTIMEDIA SPEAKERS FOR THIS KID!!!!