Welcome Sensibull, you've certainly lucked out finding the Axiom site before your purchase! This is by far one of the best forums for advice and audio fun...

I too am relatively new here and haven't yet got my system togethor, but I have spent some time researching things so I'll pass on what I've learnt.

1) The alternative subs you mentioned are pretty well it that I've seen in the EP175 price range, I know of no others that would match the cherry veneer that offer the same value and performance ( other than the EP175 ). Particularily HSU and SVS are excellent bang for the buck subs. DOn't however, discard the Axiom subs so easily. From what I have read everyone that has them is very pleased with there performance and they are supposed to be very good ( ie low and tight ) for music which you say you'll be using your system for. I read one post where someone had both a HSU and an Axiom sub and they couldn't tell the difference. So I would have no concerns going for the EP175 with the M22, and then it'll match perfectly.

2) I obviously cant comment directly on the centres but have read that the VP100 is certainly good ( owners happy with them ) for smaller rooms. The biggest difference is the VP150 has better dispersion characteristics and plays louder. One alternative, if it works aesthetically for you is to use a M22 as a centre channel. (This is my plan and admittedly I've formed a bit of a bias during my research against "traditional" center channel speakers in general ) So between the 100 or 150 I would go with what you think you need for your rooom size.

3) I believe some people have posted pictures ( at least one person has ) but I haven't found the post yet. Perhaps some else can direct you to it.

One thing I believe for certain by selecting Axiom products no matter what you do you can't go wrong.

Cheers, and Good luck