Things seem slow lately, so lets see if I can stir it up a little by kicking around an idea I brought up earlier, but which got roundly slapped down. The ultimate HT surround system, 4 QS8s and a VP150 (or maybe 5 QS8s).

Now before everyone laughs at me (although that’s certainly fun to do) let me just bloviate for a minute. Every review of the QS8 I have read praises them, and at least two reviews mention how surprisingly well they work for direct sound. I’m thinking QS8s ought to make a HT setup that provides a room-size sweet spot, can take up no floor space, and is very forgiving of placement (sub required, of course.) They are the perfect imperfect living room speaker.

Using direct/reflecting speakers is nothing new. In 1973, when I first started to buy stereo gear, the setup to have was widely considered to be (by my peers) 4 Bose 901s driven by a Pioneer 949 (35 w/channel, great lights). I have always liked the idea of omni-directional radiators, although my own current speakers are Klipsh Heresy’s. But I’ve lived with 901s and they convinced me that the surround effect is more important in creating “realism” than perfect frequency response.

I think the QS8 is probably a better speaker than the 901, and I know they’re half the price. Axiom might not be the traditional source for this type of system, but I say why not?

Problems? Considering the 110Hz floor of this speaker, you got to turn your sub crossover up.

OK, lets rip this idea to shreds, and/or firm it up into something useful.

Larry 5.1 M22/VP100/QS8/PB1-ISD