Big Will,

It's not that cut and dried. In my case, it's what will fit and not look ridiculously massive in a smallish living room. The DLP I have on loan--a 3rd-generation 50-inch widescreen Samsung--is just 14 inches deep and fits very nicely in a corner of my room. Moreover, I lifted it onto the stand myself. It weighs about 70 pounds, compaared to several hundred for CRT rear projection. My current CRT direct view is much heavier. For me, cost is a secondary factor. I also admit to being dazzled by the Texas Instruments Digital Micro-Mirror chip. I love the image contrast and the fact that no convergence is ever required. And so far, not even aligned and tweaked, the HD image quality on the Samsung is spectacular (assuming a good source, of course). I'd happily pay $3,200 (I think that is the retail) to keep this thing.

But if budget intrudes, and you have the space, I think a good CRT rear-projection is a no-brainer. They are way less expensive--about half the price of the best DLP and CRT rear-pro's--and can look very good.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)