It IS unfortunate, because I've been a big advocate of Marantz for a while now. The first time this happened, I was willing to think it was an anomaly. It was repaired under warranty, and at the time, my natural assumption (uh-oh...) was that Marantz would upgrade/repair any problems that may have been endemic to this particular model. Now (and understand that my opinion is deeply clouded at the moment) my tendency is to believe that their products are just junk. They're well-reviewed, they sound great, but the quality control is apparently lousy. I live in an apartment. I'm not hitting 100db and rattling the walls. The @#$% unit did its impression of a Vietnamese Buddhist monk while I was watching TV. And it really, really pisses me off.

Of course, the next natural concern should be, what about Denon? The 3805 is awfully appealing. Ian recommends them, and I know there are plenty of Denon owners on this board. But Denon and Marantz DID recently merge, and the 3805 hasn't been out long enough to have much of an established track record in terms of QC. Any thoughts? Any 3802 or 3803 owners have any horror stories to tell? Yamaha is the runner-up candidate now.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds