I have been "sort of" in the market for a receiver, what I currently have at home is a stereo system from the '70's Crown D150 power amp and IC150 preamp.

I certainly didn't intend to purchase yet but I was talking to a local store and they are having a special on the Denon 1602 they are letting it go for $550Cdn. List from Denon Canada (probably meaningless) is $770Cdn.

It seems like a good deal and frankly I had been thinking about either it or the HK AVR125, that is going for about $725Cdn before you start to "play the game" with the salesperson.

Now I admit to very little knowledge about the current state of receivers other than enough to knoew that just basing the decision on wattage is meaningless. One thing I do like about both of these units is the weight, I believe 22lbs for the Denon, 24 for the HK, I presume this translates into equipmewnt that can run all day without a complaint.

As much as I would like to wow you with dreams of $1500+ receivers that is just not in my future, I am downsizing my house (getting ready to retire) and for once in my life intend to buy something practical as opposed to overkill.

So to make an already long story short will I be happy with the Denon? Any thoughts at all on the subject are more than welcome. I'll let me ears try it tomorrow.

Getting to 2,000 posts; one year at a time vp160/qs8/qs4/SVS 2000/m60/Monolith 3x200 amp