Let me chime in real quick about 7.1

I have just set up my HT this weekend (we finally got moved and I finally got to unpack my system -after waiting 16 weeks!). I wired up my deal-e-o for 7.1, using M60, VP100 and QS8, and two cheapo surround backs. I sit against the back wall in my living room. I mounted one Q to the left on a wall abotu 2 feet in front of me, 6.5 feet up. The right surround is on the back wall, about the same distance away from the seating area as the left speaker. The two rears are in between the surrounds on the back wall, firing up (so as to avoid being blasted by sound firing right into the back of my head - they reflect off of the ceiling this way too).

Here are my impressions from my far from perfect 7.1 set-up. With the QS8s, 5.1 is about as enveloping as I could want or ever need. Also - 6.1 DTS discrete soundtracks (like the LOTR:EE discs) sound good, but the jump up from 5.1 to 6.1 in that instance is pretty minor. Using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx, 5.1 sounds really great! There is lots of activity coming from the surroudn backs - but not so much as to soudn gimicky or fake. I have my system set up to run IIx all the time when watching 5.1 and 2 channel content. I haev yet to decide whether I will switch to DTS + IIx for 6.1 content.

Anyway - bottom line is this...with the QS8's, I wouldn't feel like I was missing anything if I lacked the 6th and 7th channels. But, I do find it fun to have 7.1 in my room, if nothing more than to stroke my male ego....

Go with the 7.1 - nobody will be able to convince you otherwise. If it doesn't work out, you can always send the speakers back or use them in a second room.