As mentioned before, I would like to hang my mains and possibly my center..
I have done this many times before, drilling a pilot hole, and then attaching two 1/4 inch screw eyes.. Always used the tried and true swaglamp hooks in the ceiling with no prob.. Those hooks, (toogle for drywall, wood screw for joists) could hold up a '58 Caddy with no trouble !
The M80's I have are my 1st pair of towers.. I would like some advice on just how to go about anchoring them to the chains from the ceiling hooks.. Is the cabinet strong enough to handle a couple of screws in the top ? Should I open up the back, and run a couple 1/4 inch eye bolts thru, with washers on the inside to secure them ? In other words, is the top of the cabinet attached strongly enough to support the rest of the weight below ? Will the weight rip away from the top ? Has anyone else tried this with towers ?
I'm trying to keep the hardware as simple as possible, to avoid being ugly, and to avoid affecting the sound.. Will I need to go to some sort of plates on the sides, or ?
Purhaps Alan, or someone at the shop can let me know just how the cabinet edges are finished ? Might give me a better feel for their strength with regard to sheer force.. Or, as we used to say in my construction days, the "Pullapartability" factor.. ("How many more nails you gonna put in that thing Mike ??)
To those that have never tried this, believe me, it does make a wonderful difference in the presentation.. I personally feel it opens that elusive sweet spot up by leaps and bounds.. Think about it, and how the walls and ceiling would now become more anti-standing wave, just like the cabinets themselves..
The little work involed applying the hardware is nothing compaired to the time most of us spend debating this or that "Concept" of Hi Fidelity and/or Home Theater..

LFE ! The rest is just details..