I just got my M80's last weekend. I'm driving them with an also new, HK 7200 (100 W X 7). I have them in my great room which is 32' X 26'. Ain't no way in hell I can be in this room with them cranked all the way. I don't even know how loud that is to tell you the truth, because I start to get embarrassed that my neighbors will start bitching. I'm still moving them and my furniture around, but right now I'm sitting about 10' feet away and they are 8' apart. They sound simply amazing, providing I play a good CD. I have a ten year old Zeppelin CD that I can here the audible hisssssss whenever a track plays, but if I ignore it, stairway to heaven sounds soooo much different now, and I'm not a big Zeppelin fan. Dark Side of the Moon sounds way cool cranked. The sounds envelope me, and again, I'm not a Floyd fan either. I just got the enhanced CD to see how these speakers reproduce sound. But all that aside, if your only sitting 8' away, I think the 80's will cause you to incur a serious threshold shift in short order because they sound so terrific at high volumes. When they're at low volume, they sound just fine, but I just can't stand it.......I have to crank them.

You wouldn't here their sound, but if you call me, I could crank them up and you could here the background volume through the phone, possibly?? It might give you an idea of how loud they really are. I don't think folks really understand this until they actually sit in front of them.