I own the current slim devices product, Squeezebox (I also own the previous generation product, SliMP3). It can output data to powered speakers or an amp via RCA or digital outputs. These outputs can be controlled by its internal volume control. The volume control also controls the headphone jack. The device can play music in MP3 and many other formats (lossy AND lossless) stored on a networked computer. It blows the doors off a megachanger for several reasons. The VFD display is visible from 25 feet. It allows you to access songs by artist, genre, album and playlist through the display. Best of all, the open source operating code has been fine-tuned by its user community to be lightning fast and virtually crash-proof. The company and the community are also continuously devloping new functions for the device. I use it not only to play my music collection, but to check the weather forecast, to display caller ID for incoming calls, and to stream Internet radio. It is the only visible electronic interface in my family room, and allows me to leave the boob tube safely behind closed doors. This is part of the reason that I am looking for an "auto-on" amp, so that I can also hide it in the armoire and forget about it.

INCREDIBLE bang for your buck, particularly the "wired" version at $199.