Hello everyone, first of all I want to say thanks in advance for all the expert info. this forum provides, it has helped me narrow down some choices for my HT/Rec Room. Now onto the important stuff...

First, here is a brief description where I am at, I'm closing in on the home stretch for finishing my home theatre area in the basement of our newer home. The overall room size is about 30x35ft. which will consist of a HT area in one corner that will be about 20x16ft. I will have 9ft ceilings, and I'm currently looking at some 2x2 Accoustic ceiling tiles so I can easily get to any wiring if needed. The rest of the room will consist of Bar area with pool table and near the walkout will be a retro 50's theme with booth and checkered flooring (wifes idea, gotta make her happy).

I first found out about Axiom on AVSforum. The overwhelming positive responses I've read have got me interested. Some speaker questions:

1) I'm currently looking at the Epic 60 setup, I would say I'll be using about 65% for HT and 35% music listening. Will the 60's be adequate for a room that large when listening to music in stereo from accross the room, or should I consider the 80's? I think either will be great for HT purposes.

2) I recently auditioned some B&K 703's and 704's and a local AV place that has been around for 30 years in my home town, can anyone comment or compare these to the 60's or 80's? The Kevlar based midrange and woofer's were interesting and the sound was very good to my ears. These had a freq. range (-6dB) of 30hZ and 50kHz, the Axiom's show 22kHz, is this a big deal, I didn't think the Human ear could distinguish much past 22kHz? Also the cost on these is much more, I could get 2 M80's for the price of one of these.

3) The Qs8's have me very interested, but I'm confused as most of the salespeople I've talked to at 3 respectible AV stores don't understand why you would use this type of speaker for surrounds or rears. I'm not sure if I can quote them exactly, but the basic thing I'm hearing is that you would not want the surround/rear speakers dispersing audio in various differant directions, rather, you want them Mono or directional towards the listening area. I was planning on 4 Qs8's, two for the surrounds and two for the rears, or would I be better off in buying 2 way type bookshelf speakers for the surrounds and rears?

Receiver questions....Almost done
Based on my budget, I have been reading a lot of posts regarding the Yammy 1400, Denon 2805, and the Pioneer Elite 53TX (soon to be 54TX) I know the Auto EQ is favored by many and not-favored by some, I'm not using that as my only basis for these recievers, however, I think it might be a nice option as a starting point. I have not heard the Yammy, but when I auditioned the above B&W's mentioned, I listened to various music and DVD movies on both the Denon and Elite. I was leaning towards the Elite before the audition, but now am thinking the Denon might be my choice based on what I heard....

1) If I end up getting the M80's will either of these two units drive these 4 ohm speakers or should I stick with the M60's. I've heard Alan mention that Denon is no problem, is he referring to all Denons?

2) What is all your opinions on THX certification. The Elite has it, but the 2805 does not. The local sales people say I should not use that as a basis of my decision, however, some people on the forum boards say it should be?

3) Will these receivers be adequate to drive all these speakers? I've heard some people purchase a seperate Rotel amp to drive the mains, and have the Denon drive the rest?

4) And finally, what is your opinions on purchasing from Online retailers. Denon and Elite are specific in saying warranties will not be honored from unauthorized retailers. There are so many online/Ebay that have great prices, but it worries me on the Cust. Serv. type issues down the road. I can get the 2805 locally for $740 bucks which is about $160 lower than your Crutchfields, Ultimate Electronics, etc...but a little higher than some of the so-called Online sellers.

Sorry to be so lengthy, and again thanks in advance for any advice you can give.....

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85