Forget about break-in for a minute...

Spent the last week moving newly arrived M2i's and PSB sub around the basement trying to find the right placement for the room. Last time I had speakers good enough to be worth the effort was 10+ years ago... almost forgot how to do it.

It's always surprising how small a change it takes to make a huge difference. I was trying to keep the distance from ears to speakers less than the distance between speakers... finally moved the speakers a couple of feet further apart and the soundstage opened right up. Surprise surprise...

The last good speakers I had were Rogers LS3's with a passive subwoofer. It's hard to tell without A/B-ing but I think the M2i's are significantly better. They sound a bit thin without the sub but the bass is at least as good as the Rogers and the midrange seems a lot more clear. When the sub is switched on (PSB SubSonic 6i) and everything is tweaked properly the sound is incredibly smooth.

Are M22's really that much better than M2i's ? Right now it's hard to believe that there is much room for improvement. Toronto has a dedicated jazz station (Jazz-FM, natch) which I never listened to very often. With the new speakers the jazz just comes to life -- all the acoustic instruments seem to crawl out into the room.

Anyways, I couldn't be happier. I was debating between tower speakers and (bookshelf + subs) -- after a week of carrying the %^#$^$ subwoofer around I was really thinking that I should have started at M50 and worked my way up -- but now I have the placement worked out I'm in happy land.

Is anyone else running M2i's "because they sound so good" or are all the M2's being punted back to the 7.1 rear channels ? Just wondering...

John

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8