As JohnK mentioned, the prices (except for subs) are per pair.

I did a quick search for your stereo receiver and i could not find very much information about it.
some brief info
Based on this, i have to ask, is there even an output for a subwoofer on this receiver? If not then i guess your speaker buying decision is pretty straightforward.

Your living room is rather large compared to most so the M22s won't fill that space with volumes of sound. However, assuming that your listening area is about the same as most other people (couch about 8-12 feet from tv/stereo components), the M22s will definitely provide a better alternative than the M3/sub combo. Although the sub would provide more bass than the M22s, they can hold their own for music and will provide far more sound volume than the smaller M3s.

As for your 5.1 system building plan, buying parts in various stages works just as well as buying all at once and sure is easier on the budget. I started with a receiver and used some old speakers for mains. Then a month later i picked up M60s and used the old speakers for surround., Then a month later i bought a sub and surrounds and moved the old speakers upstairs to my computer setup. Then the last month i bought a dvd player. Took me 4 months total, could have easily taken a year, but the purchases could last a lifetime.

Have fun shopping.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."