So... I weakened a couple of days ago and picked up an HK AVR receiver, so I'm slowly moving into the 20th century. Currently running the M60s as mains and M2s as surrounds; no center (yet) but if I tell the HK there is no center it seems to route the center channel info to the mains just fine -- dialog is very clear and well centered. QS8s and VP100 are probably next on the list but the "toy budget" is maxed out for a while.

And from there comes the problem. This home theater thing is all a terrible mistake; I just wanted to buy a couple of M2s to have a nice little stereo system upstairs. They just sounded really good and one thing sort of led to another...

There seem to be two options -- put the M2s upstairs with the stereo receiver and use my crappy old speakers as surrounds, or keep the M2s as surrounds and put the crappy speakers upstairs. I don't really want the crappy speakers upstairs (I do >50% of my listening there) but not sure how much different it's going to make if my mains and surrounds are so different.

The other speakers are your typical "shopping mall stereo store specials" -- 2 way 10"/1.5", ported, tower, kinda boomy, no real deep bass, a bit thin in the midrange, not all that bad really but not what you would call "good speakers".

Any thoughts on mixing these speakers (M60s + cheapos) ? I promise it will be temporary

Thanks,
JB

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8