My M60s are on order and, although I haven’t received them yet, I think I’m going to order the rest of my system in the meantime. I can’t wait, but until I can actually be enjoying them, I can do nothing but think about how they will be set up and what I can expect. The frequent comments of “you hear things in the music that you’ve never heard before” and “Axioms make a good recording sound great, but a bad recording shows it’s flaws” has gotten me thinking:

What do people consider a good recording or a bad recording?

My thoughts would be that dynamic range and compression of the final mix are probably two of the biggest factors, since there is much pop music that is recorded on top current equipment without any budget limitations yet still manages to not “wow” listeners of very good systems. There are older recordings, on older analog equipment that do, indeed “wow” listeners. Is it the actual recording of instruments and voices, or is it the way they are mixed together? Is it that so many layers get mixed together that each loses it’s individual flavor in the recipe? Is it that effects are added too often, and the reverb, compression etc that are added to a vocal just take away from the “cleanliness” of the timbre of that voice?

I’m determined to bring up questions in these forums that will get people thinking… but I’m trying it off the “Questions and Comments” board ‘cuz everything gets lost in the politics over there!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::