Mark, buddy, in the words of Bernie Mac - Chillax. We'll talk you in. It will be okay.

Sometimes, freaking out IS the appropriate response. This is not one of those times. Enjoy the journey.

I'm pretty sure you used up your "just one more sub question"

Here's my experience (albeit limited and amateur) relative to your question on how much truly low frequency content there is. This is just my opinion - anybody who wants to convince me otherwise is welcome to bring good quality beer to my house and give it a go. I think for most (non-electronica) popular music, there is not much activity below 25Hz. The only music I really notice being "wowed" by my sub contains acoustic bass, but I don't really listen to classical or organ music. Relative to HT, it really depends on the movie, but you might be surprised how frequent and persuasive the LFE stuff is. Did you scan these charts?

I'm sure the Axiom subs are brilliant. Smashing. Wicked pissah. Insert colorful adjective here.

It's a personal choice, of course. You expressed some fairly strong desire to NOT have a big black box (or fabric-covered water heater) in your current listening space. I personally think that is a completely valid concern, especially since you will give up little (if any) quality by choosing Axiom over those other brands.

If I were you (and heck, I don't even play you on TV, so what do I know?), I'd buy the EP175 like Alan suggested, enjoy yourself, drink a beer, read the entire beer thread, smoke a cigar, play some tunes, and well, chillax some more. If you move to the attic, buy another one. Live happily ever after.

Or you could continue to torture yourself over this decision. Strictly up to you, of course

bibere usque ad hilaritatem