I was looking for his "tweaks" PDF... to see what bits of nastiness he might be getting people into.

Though this posts scream "Pied Piper" with the mention of video processing chips and who's got the best one and he's either misspoke or used incorrect information twice in replies to my knowledge.

Correction #1 : He mentions DVD video and NTSC video as being 480i - 60 frames per second. That's incorrect. D1 resolution (NTSC) is 720x486i - 30 frames per second. The extra 6 lines are used for the v-blank interval. DV and DVCAM (which are 480i) have really messed "weekend warrior" editors up that way.

Correction #2 : He mentions the DVI connector adds an unnecessary lossy conversion to RGB from component, DVDs are encoded in 4:2:2 YUV colour space, yes, but since LCD TVs (and tube TVs, and projections, and...) all use RGB signals (your dots are red, green and blue, not brightness and colour difference B-Y and R-Y), so unless the TV takes in an RGB signal and then converts it to YUV before converting it back to RGB (which would mean the engineer should be shot and peed on) - it's NOT an extra step.

Just my $0.02 - I'm leery of the ones with a joke for the flock and a hand up your fleece.

Bren R.