Hi GLH
As I understand it, there is only one way to properly hook up DVD Audio - and that is to the 5.1 channel out from the DVD A player to the 5.1 channel inputs in the receiver. (assuming you don't have a separate outboard amplifier.)

The Toshiba SD9200 player (which I use) has separate outputs for center, front L, front R, side surround L, and side surround R (it may have a rear center as well, don't remember, it's been a few days...)

The Toslink is for DTS since the direct outputs from the DVD-A bypass all the fancy stuff in the DVD A player (except I suppose for the high sampling function) and I think it bypasses all those functions in the receiver as well. (that's why I got the ICBM bass management thing, which doubled the number of fancy cables I needed).

The sound from the DVD A playing DVD A discs is very different now that it's playing through 5.1 direct. First of all I now get a "DVD Audio" display for the first time on the Toshiba. Second, the sound from DVDA instead of Toslink is just incredible. I can't even begin to describe the difference except to say it is enormous. I didn't know such wonderful music could possibly come out of my speakers ... as a matter of fact, I used to think wonderful music was coming from my speakers, but the DVD Audio sound is something else altogether.

In a saner world I'd invite you all over to my place to hear it for yourselves.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.