I just ordered my setup last night.
From Axiom:
M60Ti fronts
VP150 center
QS8 surrounds
SVS 20-39PCi subwoofer
Pioneer VSX-54tx receiver

I first figured out what speakers I wanted, and then started the research on receivers. I have owned many receivers in my days (I'm only 32) but for some reason, I keep going back to Pioneer. I will be honest. I have never owned a Denon receiver, but I looked at Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer, and Harmon Kardon... Onkyo dropped off my list pretty early on. The line I was looking at didn't offer as many features as the others. I then dropped HK due to price/options as well. To get what Denon and Pioneer had in my price range, HK was a couple hundred dollars more.

I started reading as much as I could on the Denon and Pioneer, and at a few other home theater sites I saw a lot of excitement about the Pioneer 54TX... Then I found people that had posted that they owned the Pioneer and Denon models I was looking at, and I got a better "great product" response from the Pioneer folks.

There were other factors as well, but I could get the Pioneer for a couple hundred dollars less than the 3805, and from what I was reading, it is a great product. I am not saying that the Pioneer sounds better or worse than the Denon. That was mainly because I couldn't do a head to head comparison, but I liked what I heard from both of them, but couldn't beat the $200+ price difference.

Just my $.02

Nick

Farewell - June 4, 2020