Hi Richard,

Looking over the specs for the 2802& 1803, they are both very simlar units the main differences that I can see are the following.

The 2802 list “S” and composite video switching the 1803 does not

The 2802 has 3 optical inputs while the 1803 has 4

The 2802 has pre-outs for all channels which if important to you means you can hook up an external amp to handle any or all of the channels. The 1803 has only sub-woofer pre-out.

The 1803 has a 32 bit DSP vs. the 2802 24 bit DSP (will you notice any difference from this, not likely).

Looking at the Amplifier section the 2803 has slightly more power, this is not even significant enough for you too hear any difference. the only difference here is the 2802 has slightly better specs for SN ratio and THD (Total harmonic distortion).

From the specs I would say in my opinion that the 2802 would be a better choice given that you can get it for the same money. You get a little better specs, but the main differences would be that you get pre-outs for all channels, this gives you some flexibilty later if you want to add another amp to the system, and “S-Video” and composite video switching. The 2802 also gives you on-screen display for the setup functions where the 1803 does not. Small thing but it’s a big help when setting up the system.