I was fortunate enough to see Hedges 5 or 6 times, and each time was incredible. Unfortunately, he drifted more and more towards this intolerable hippy-dippy, California vegetarian, Birkenstock stage persona that was frankly just obnoxious. The last time I saw him (only a few months before he died) I had the opportunity to meet him. I wasn't one of these fawning, rabid fans - I just said, "It's a pleasure to meet you. I always enjoy your shows - you're an amazing guitarist." His reply (and the accompanying look) was almost drenched in contempt. He said, "I'm not a guitarist. I'm a composer." And while I was standing there he treated just about every one else with equal disdain. The whole time I'm thinking, "You officious, pretentious f**k. Get over yourself."

Hedges was astonishingly talented, and he certainly raised the bar for a generation of guitarists, but my firsthand experience is that he was also a complete ass.

Now having said all of that, I'm very interested in Kaki King. I'm always interested in new music, so thanks for the tip.

M22ti mains, EP175 sub, VP150 center, QS4 surrounds