I am starting to do some research and put together some speaker packages, I want new fronts, two surrounds and a center; I already have an HSU STF-2 so I am good in the sub department. My budget is 1,200 (give or take a few) and internet companies seem to offer the biggest bang for your buck here. I am currently torn between Axiom and Ascend. For Axiom I am looking at M22ti’s for fronts, QS8’s for surrounds and a VP150 for the center, which would cost $1220. For Ascends I am looking at CMT-340M for fronts, CMB-170 for surrounds and the CMT-340c for a center, which would cost $1216. I have heard many good things about both Axiom and Ascend, however I have heard more negatives about Axiom that I have Ascend, I have heard of Axioms being bright and that their centers are not very good, I am not a big fan of “in your face speakers” so the bright part scares me a bit. Also all of Ascend speakers also have either a perfect or near perfect reviews on audio review.

I understand that I am asking this on the Axiom forum (also posted it on the Ascend forum), so people will favor Axiom here but I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare Axioms to Ascends and what the outcome was. I understand the best thing to do would be to order both the M22’s and the 340’s and do A/B comparisons to decide myself which one I like better, and then be 100% confident that I made the right decision. But Axiom charges return shipping (does Ascend?) and I would rather not make this speaker purchase more than it needs to be. I understand that everyone has different tastes when it comes to speakers and what sound good (this is why I am a bit scared about Axioms, because I don’t like bright speakers and have heard them referred to as such). But I think if I read a few comparisons about what people thought it may still help me. Thanks.