Jason, because of my general lack of enthusiasm for DVD-A/SACD, which I've explained before, I wasn't going to add anything here. Nevertheless, no, as Craig said a DVD-A isn't hybrid so that it plays in a CD player(there are some new DVD "DualDiscs" which have a CD on the opposite side). All DVD-As however have a DD and/or DTS track which plays in a regular DVD player since those are the sound tracks which are used on DVD-Video. If an SACD is hybrid, of course that means that it also has a regular CD layer.

As to whether one of the new formats is inherently audibly better(or better than CD, for that matter), it's highly unlikely(disregarding the multi-channel factor, if present). The original recording techniques and the mixing and mastering applied determine the sound quality, not whether itwinds up on CD, DVD-A or SACD. One of the versions of that new album may turn out to be only about 8.9"N, but if so it'll be due to slightly different mixing/mastering, not any difference inherent in the formats.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.