Help please!

I'm the proud owner of a new pair of M22ti's and a VP150... at least until my wife came home and saw the new setup. She was pleased with the 22's, as they replaced the old Celestion floorstanders and now sit on the bookshelves of our new entertainment console. However, she refuses to allow the "monstrosity" of a center channel to sit upon our elegant shelf above the projection TV, obstructing all the pictures/art she has positioned there in our family room. Unfortunately, the VP150 is replacing a cheap-o Bose cube speaker, so less is more in her mind, no matter what documentation lambasting Bose cubes I try to show her. She insists that if I cannot hide the VP150 (her suggestion--on top of the 8-foot high console where it won't be seen), that I'll either have to go back to the Bose or get used to using the built in speakers in our Pioneer 52" HDTV set... which got me thinking.

Has anyone ever tried pulling out the speakers of a projection TV set in order to install a real speaker? I have no real reservation about pulling out a power saw and cutting a nice hole in the panel to fit the VP150, as it would be covered by the TV's speaker cover when finished. I'm just concerned about issues like working/installing the speaker in close proximity to the other electronics and figuring out a way to mount the speaker to the front panel. Am I crazy for considering such an option in my desperation?

Any advice or reference material you all might be able to offer would be much appreciated...