Grexx,

I'm curious about this as well. Normally, males (humans) are equipped with the same set of hearing mechanism; that is, each of us does NOT hear differently, contrary to accepted wisdom. Of course we all have slight preferences, but the research (in which I participated as a member of the listening panel) has shown that when the brand, price, size and type of speaker is concealed from the listener in blind tests, we all agree on which speakers sound "best" and which ones are worst. The highest-rated speakers, those judged best, were always the most linear--the ones with the smoothest, flattest frequency response on and off-axis, especially through the midrange and treble.

If there has been premature hearing damage from industrial noise or, for example, full-time rock musicians touring and playing without hearing protection, then various conditions may develop, including "tinnitus," a serious condition whose symptoms often include constant ringing in the ears (I have a relative who has it).

In any case, have you experienced any other symptoms that might suggest an unusual sensitivity to midrange and high frequencies, or have you been in an occupation that might have in some way caused hearing damage?

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)