I am not a photography expert by any means, but I have been using digital cameras since my .8 megapixal Sony Mavica. So take my comments/opinions with that in mind.

Deciding on what camera to buy really depends on what you want to do with it. If all you want to do is use it for everyday picture taking and be able to print out regular sized pictures for a scrap book, then a 3mp - 4mp camera will be perfect.

How many megapixals to get really depends on what size pictures you want to print. There is no reason to get a 6+ mp camera if you will never print anything bigger than 8x10. I personally wouldn't get anything less than 4mp but the 3mp should be the bare minimun unless all you want to do is email and keep pics on your computer.

By all means the most important aspect of the zoom is the optical zoom. The digital zoom aspect is no where near as important as the optical.

Best Buys website has a quick little guide to digital cameras.

Guide to Photo Quality
Guide to Megapixals

Maybe do a web search on the above 2 topics to get a better description from a photography website.
I now own a 4mp Canon G2 and love it except for the fact that its too big to simply stick in your pocket.
I have had quite a few friends who have had the different versions of the Canon Elph and they loved them.

I personally would like to get the Sony Cyber-shot 5.0-Megapixel Digital Camera. Slim, compact and robust for something that can slip into my pocket. I just can't see spending another $500 on a camera when my G2 is still a great quality camera.

EDIT: Another consideration is what type of memery cards the camera uses. If you already have a digital camcorder, it may make sense to stay with a camera that uses the same memory cards. My Sony TV even has slots for the memory sticks so I can see my pictures on the TV screen. Too bad I have a Canon. Those memory cards won't fit. Sony is a little more proprietary with their memory cards.

Shag

Last edited by shag; 12/10/04 03:01 PM.

Shag