I'm not a fan of JBL nor Infinity. Both are available at Futureshop or Best Buy, and my initial impression with other peoples' music is that they're average, though I'm open to think otherwise in a fair A/B fight. JBL always struck me as a brand cross-shopped with Cerwin Vega by college dorm students impressed by the brand at their last stadium concert. Not sure what Infinity's marketing strategy is, b/c they have no sales angle (Internet sales channel w/ 30 day return policy, unique construction techniques, high tech tweeters) and they're not mass market, niche, nor high end. It's not a surprise that I keep hearing rumours that Infinity will be phased out. I have no qualms about the Revel line though.

I wouldn't be surprised if all this testing by Harman Int'l is parallel to what grocery stores do: send people out to competitor stores and read barcodes and prices of their competitors so that they can raise their prices and increase their margins without charging too little.

After all, if a company is capable of scientific speaker design, and they have the measurement facilities, wouldn't it be the ultimate competitive sales advantage for JBL, Infinity, and Revel to publish their frequency response curves in their literature, and force inferior companies with inferior performance curves to respond or die? Or maybe I'm being too cynical...

>This is the same company that "bought" JBL's home audio division,..........and >have all but ruined right?

Author of "Status 101: How To Keep Up In A World That Keeps Score While Buying Into Buying Less"