It will sound just fine in the meantime, so long as you are seated in the prime listening position. If you are seated in between the front left and rigth speakers, the stereo image of the front pari should yeild a phantom center, where the voices seem to come from in between the speakers. However, if you move to one side or the other, the effect will collapse. That said, its not the end of the world.

With a 5.1 system, the problem is obviously solved by rooting the center channel in the middle, meaning that there will be better off center imaging of the voices when not listening from the prime position.

I usually always have my center on when watching TV. But a few night ago, I was fooling around with the DSPs on my receiver. A couple of them utilize a phantom center channel. Admittedly, I was fooled by this, and actually had to walk up to the TV and put my ear against the speaker to see whether it was playing or not.

Like I said, you won't be missing any sound, per se, but the effect will collapse once you leave the prime position. I think that you made a good choice by getting the surroudns before the center, if you had to choose. The surroudn effects are harder to "fake" than a center effect. That said, many posters here will tell you (and I agree with them) that the center is ultinately the most important piece of the puzzle, as so much movie information is fed to that speaker. But as far as dazzle, wow and fun factors go, the surrounds will really get your heart pumping. Worry about the other stuff later.