I am considering the Harmon Kardon 3480, which is a stereo only receiver. It delivers 120 watts into 8 hms and I think 150 watts into 4 ohms. I want this for my M80's.
Careful shopper that I am, I looked around the web and came up with some strange assesments of this unit. I think I was at "epinions" where I read several reviews that all concurred that the 3480 lacked bass response.
Now I'm of the opnion that ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, there shouldnt really be a difference in tonal coloration between two similar amps. I do accept the fact that differences in distortion, anemic power supply, undersized/cheaper componants taken together could affect the performance of an amp to the degree that there is a perceptable differance in sound. But to lack bass output to me would mean that the amp lacked sufficient power.
The Harmon Kardon is supposed to be a high current design that drives low impedence loads without a problem. It delivers more power into a low impedence load than it does into 8 ohms. That doesnt sound like an amp with power problems.
I'm sure I'm giving the Epinions posters more credit than they deserve. It only concerns me because the M80's are very strong in the midrange, so I really dont want to build my system with another componant that favors the midrange over bass.
Anyone who knows this receiver and can comment on it, please do. In fact, anyone who cares to jump in with fact or opinion, please do!

Dan

Last edited by dmw; 12/10/04 01:13 PM.