>>I read in the newsletter that a receiver will not have as much power as seperates, and that the receiver generally is limited to 110 to 120 watts total power. Is this because of the amount of power being received from the plug?

[BBIBH] No, the limitations are that of designs that will fit into enclosures used for electronic equipment. Any electrical input can be altered to the required levels using circuitry and components. There are trade offs when designing amplifiers, and there is typically a target for the amplifier – usually a market segment and price point to be hit. Stating that receivers will not have as much power as separates is a generalization, and is not always true.

>>If this were so, would a multi channel amplifier also have the same restrictions or woud it belt out more power than a receiver?

[BBIBH] It depends on the design, and the target the designer was trying to hit. Generally speaking, there is more flexibility to produce a more powerful amplifier in a unit that has the goal of simply amplifying the input signal. Without having to include the processing sections that are required in receivers, there is more physical room, and quite possibly money available to produce an amplifier section. However, that may not be the goal. Power is sometimes thought of as the measuring stick – as in Bigger is Better. That would depend on the goal of the amplifier, and the target market. I have heard smaller output amplifiers that VASTLY outperform larger output amplifiers.

>>is what Alan meant by 'go seperates for the most amount of power' to go with monoblocks?

[BBIBH] Not necessarily monoblocks, although you could go that route. I believe he means that a preamp/processor section, coupled with amplifiers driving speakers. This could be a pre/pro using a number of 2 channel amplifiers to drive the speakers. Monoblocks would be a method of achieving the same thing (pre/pro => amps => speakers) if this is desired. Again, there are tradeoffs to be dealt with in terms of design specs, price points, etc.

>>I know some receivers do give more power than others. Wouldn't the power supply in the receiver determine how much power it can generate to the speakers?

[BBIBH] There are several limiting factors at play. Some amplifier sections (transistors, tubes, or Op Amps) are capable of delivering a certain limit of output REGARDLESS of the stability and capability of the power supply. When the amplifier is driven beyond its capabilities, it can be traced to the circuits being at their limit, or the power supply being at its limit. The differences you mention in power output would be more the limitation of the amplifier circuits or limiters within the amplifier. If the amplifier section IS capable of delivering more power, then the power supply could be the limiting factor. It again goes back to the design and target of the product