I am feeling a bit nostalgic, and have been reminiscing about my early audio equipment. I started out (in the mid 70's) with a Radio Shack, "realistic" amp, turntable, and speakers, (made in Japan).
I used to look forward to each year's new catalog.....to see the new audio equipment. Each year, the specifications got a little "better".....power, thd%, etc.
Over the years, I "upgraded" a few times, until the late 80's, when I bought my last realistic product, a receiver that was pretty good for the price, (0.02 thd, a level many of today's h/t units seem to have trouble meeting) and versatile as well.
The components were oiled walnut veneer and"gold" anodized, they looked very "sophisticated", especially in that price level.
The speakers were perhaps, the weakest product in the line, however......they were oiled walnut veneer, sounded "ok", looked good, and would last! (I STILL have my 70's towers)
I was wondering, since so many of this forum's members are a "value conscious" lot, (myself included) how many of you have had realistic/optimus stereo equipment, and how those would "rate" it. I can seem to remember back in the day, the Radio Shack stuff being somewhat "polarizing"... you either loved it or hated it.......(kinda like the "wires" issue). In fact I can STILL see a high-end store salesman's "horrified" facial expression, when he asked: "what kind of receiver do you have?" It's not like I had a Fisher, or sound design.....for example.
Anyway, I always have thought the Radio Shack gear was underrated. I don't go to "The Shack" looking at audio, much anymore,...they have some RCA audio, ( after discontinuing the realistic, and Optimus brands) and gizmos, gadgets, etc.............BUT I kinda liked the old Shack better.

Last edited by LT61; 12/29/04 06:05 PM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)