First let me start by giving some background into my setup.
My system is as follows:

HK 230
M60 Fronts
Paradigm CC-370 Center
M3ti surrounds
QS8 Surrounds –arrived today
SVS 20/39PC+ Subwoofer

Well I received my qs8’s today and began testing. Thus far I have a few immediate things I have noticed between the 2 and will elaborate much more as my testing continues.

I think I should point out that I have also tried the M22’s and the VP-150 but this is a comparison of the M3’s to the QS8’s for surround purposes.

I have watched what I consider to be my reference movies and listened to what have turned into my Reference CD’s

Bad Boys 2 – Chapter 5 thru 7 with the gunfight has incredible surround action going on.
U-571 – Various chapters
I-Robot – Various Chapters
X-Box – Halo2 (optical input into receiver)
X-Box – Burnout 3
Norman Brown CD – West Coast Coolin
David Benoit CD – Shadows
Jeff Beck CD – Guitar Shop
Kim Pensyl CD – 3 day weekend

Now for the nitty gritty:

I find for the movies the QS8’s are definitely more enveloping and harder to detect an actual placement. I did find that for the gunfight scene in BadBoys2 the m3ti’s definitely won out because of their placement abilities. Using the QS8s on the same scene I found it lost much of its impact. With the m3’s it almost makes you jump at reference level.

For U-571 the QS8’s were much more in their element, the sound was much more enveloping giving a true sense of environment.

I robot was a good with the QS8’s as well as with the M3’s, it all depends on the scene.

Halo2 was a treat with both but I again think I have to give the edge to the M3’s because it was easier to place the enemies, this can be important in online multi-player.

Burnout was better with the QS8’s due to the crashing sounds enveloping you.
Now for some CD music, the music was played in 5 channel stereo.

Without exception the music sounded much better with the M3’s, especially all of the tracks with piano. The piano lost all of its tonal character and vibrancy with the QS8’s.

On one of the last tracks of the David Benoit cd there is a track with female vocals, this again was much less pronounced with the QS8’s.

One though I would like to share is if the QS8’s could play lower I think for my tastes they would be about perfect. If I could suggest something it would be to take the enclosure and enlarge it, fill it with the 6.5” driver and use the same tweeters it currently has (standard axiom tweeter). I think this would be an awesome combination, you would have a much broader frequency response and things like the rainfall in U-571 would come out sounding much more realistic. That was a big issue when watching those scenes in U-571, the rain, while enveloping was just not realistic sounding, the pitch was just too high, I think the 6.5’ driver would shine here.

For music I think most would be hard pressed to favor the QS8’s in lieu of the M3’s in this type of setup.

What does all of this mean?
Good question, I guess what I have found is the QS8’s are great for creating a sense of environment but lose something when the sound needs to be placed in a more specific direction. The M3’s really have an advantage for 4-5 channel music, and for the lower frequency response they achieve.

I want to mount the QS8’s higher on the wall to see what this impact it has on the overall sound, they currently are at ear level.

My biggest dilemma now is which one I prefer to use (I guess this is a pretty good problem to have) I think at this point I am favoring the M3’s, mostly for the more realistic sound it offers in my surround setup. I was actually looking to see if I could make a hybrid by putting the M3 driver into the QS8 cabinet but there is no room for it.

I hope some will find this review useful, I consider myself an average user and always appreciate reviews from the same. Any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks

(Quietly thinking to myself…………….hhhmmm lets see a QS10, 2-6.5’’ drivers, 2-axiom tweeters, in an enclosure capable of about 50Hz………………….hhhmmm)