The time has come to resurrect this thread.....

I got an HK AVR 235 and hooked up the CD player by toslink and by the analog output and did some comparisons - and had my wife (much better ear than me) listen while I changed between the two inputs. I liked the toslink on all fronts - although my wife (the only blinded listener) thought the analog input gave a better sound for vocals/?midrange and the toslink sound was better on all other accounts - specifically the musical instruments. But as she pointed out - we really had to work hard to try to hear a difference (even though she is convinced the difference is real as it was repeatable with different kinds of music no matter how I switched up the inputs) so maybe I was just making most of this "problem" up so I could get the receiver with the input that I wanted all along - but didn't get originally because I was using a Best Buy (they don't carry HK) gift card when I originally bought the Yamaha....

Meanwhile my friends (somewhat less financially fortunate than my family) think I am Santa Claus because they love what the Yamaha has done for their system. I really believe it is a very good receiver as long as you don't ask it to drive a very low resistance set-up.

Thanks for all past and future input.

Thoughts?