In reply to:

Mark is asking whether he should test with only one speaker running (separate tests for L&R) or with both speakers running for more realistic results.

Actually, mostly true. I was wondering this specifically in terms of bass frequency plotting.

I'm plotting the left and right speakers seperately, using "left only" and "right only" tones. If I then wanted to plot the Left speaker combined with the sub to see the full-bandwith results (say, to check the difference between "small" and "large" settings on my receiver), should I use a "left-only" bass signal?

My first thoughts would be "of course"...

Except, almost all bass on music (forgetting an independant LFE channel at the moment) is mono, meaning that I would theoretically get 3db more bass when both channels are on and playing. In other words, the right channels' bass will ADD to the left channels in real-world music listening.

Now, again, I know I can walk over to the sub and turn it up or down as I'm listening to various sources... but in terms of plotting an accurate frequency response, what signal should I send to the sub while checking tones? A one-channel Left or Right-only signal or a "stereo, "both-channel" signal that' more like real world bass?

Anyone else hope that Alan will write an authoritive bass management article in the next newsletter based (sic) on all the bass-management questions here of late?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::