Ray,
NO offence taken, appreciate your enquiry. To clarify: the Denon 3805 allows two sets (not pairs) of surround speakers to be used in the same configuration.

One set: the usual bipolar (or in our case Quadpolar) surrounds and rear speakers (QS8 surrounds, QS8 rear)

second set: a pair of direct radiating speakers for multichannel music

The setup menu allows for both sets of speakers (3 pairs total) to be connected. The receiver would use the first set of speakers (QS8 for surrounds and QS8 for rear) for movies, and switch to a direct radiating speaker (M3, M22?) for multichannel music. I think the receiver has separate banana connectors for Surround A (surround and rear) and Surround B (only one pair).

Just to enquire if adding the extra pair of direct radiating speakers (as surround B) using the above configuration yields a more precise soundstage for DVD Audio or SACD music sources.

Thanks Ray.
Ananth

P.S. I received the Denon 2900 yesterday. SOLID construction, it feels comparable to the 3910 in build quality. I was listening to Blue Man Group (the complex) yesterday, simply amazing. Need to buy a few DVD Audio/SACD disks to sample the enhanced resolution also!

Axiom M80Ti, VP150, M3 on walls X 4, M3 ceiling X4, HSU VTF-3 MK3